Monday, January 25, 2010

Quad.

For all of you who don't know, I am playing in a dodgeball league with my sister and several friends this year. Our second game was last night. We play every Sunday night for nine weeks and then have a tournament. Last night I was very excited because we had won our previous game and I didn't realize how much fun it was actually going to be. I mean really....I am a mommy now that seems to have lost all athleticism. When you begin play in dodgeball your starting position in on your stomach facing the balls in the middle of the court. The ref shouts "DODGEBALL" and you literally throw your body up and sprint towards the balls so your team can have the first throw and total domination. This is some people's weakness and some people's strength.

This happens to be my strength (the only strength I have in dodgeball). I get the ball every time we race to get the balls against the other team. Well, last night I did the same thing I did the previous game. However, I must have wanted that ball really bad! I have pulled my quadracep. I have never done this before. I have pulled a hamstring but never a quad. I continued to play despite the injury. Well let me tell you how I felt last night. I have a huge bulge on my thigh (great when you are trying to wear some skinny jeans the next day), I am walking like a pirate with a wooden leg and did I mention I have a fourteen month old that loves to sit in Mommy's lap to read books?!

Pulling a muscle seems so different these days than it did back in the athletic days of high school and college. It really makes me feel my age. I am one year from the BIG 3-0 and today am feeling every bit of it. So for now I will R-I-C-E my quad in hopes that it heals before next Sunday. Because if one thing is for sure, I haven't lost my competive dirve so I will be playing next Sunday. Maybe I just want go so hard for the balls.

No comments: