Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ecclesiastes.

Our church is doing a 21 day fast. Each person was asked to give up (fast) from anything for 21 days while being in deep prayer and reading God's Word.  Most people in church will be following the Daniel Fast. My husband, sister & I are doing something a little different. Whereas my sister and I will be cutting out certain foods, we all have made a commitment to fast from eating out. Everything must be prepared at home. Lunches must be taken to work. Dinners must be prepared at home. We have also committed to not buying anything for personal gain during this 21 days. No frivolous spending. We are very excited about what God is going to do during this time.

I know it is easy to "say" we are going to do this and that but to actually do it is the key. There are really three parts to fasting. The fasting of course but lets not forget why we are fasting. We are doing this to better our relationship with our God. Therefore prayer and studying of His Word are a vital part of a complete fast.

Ashley and I were discussing last night what a good book of the Bible would be to read during our fast. The funny thing is I spouted off Ecclesiastes without a hesitation. We believe God put that book in my mouth. What a great book to read on our fast. Ecclesiastes is a sermon Solomon wrote talking about how "utterly" meaningless this life is without a relationship with God.  Everything from work to social life. It's all meaningless unless God is the center of it ALL.  What a great meditation and study this will be!!

Starting today we will read 1/2 chapters daily and either blog or write about how that scripture spoke to us individually. I have chosen to blog my journal entries. It's a great way to be able to look back at how God was working in my life.

I encourage each and everyone of you to take 21 days to clean out the "crud" in your life. You may not have any crud, but what a way to draw closer to our Lord!!! What an opportunity to have a deeper relationship with Jesus!!! Our fast begins January 10th and ends with a celebration on January 31st. We will also be having a "Chick Night" on January 24th. Please let me know if you are interested in joining the fast with the few of us choosing to read Ecclesiastes. It would be great to have more people reading and discussing this book as fellow brothers and sisters in Christ!

No comments: